- 845 butterfly genomes have been sequenced, these include all the butterflies of the United States and Canada!
- Armed with the data, evolutionary biologists set out to create a tree that tracts the relationship between all the species
- Isn’t that such a cool graphic?! This is my favourite part of Genetics = phylogenetic trees!
Why Is This Important?
- Geneticists were able to track how certain species evolved, how genes and even proteins evolved over time – what made some survive and others not?
- This could provide insight into evolution and speciation in general as well as giving us guidance on our own evolution through time
Read More Here
- Genomics of a complete butterfly continent – original bioRxiv scientific paper
- Every butterfly in the United States and Canada now has a genome sequence – Nature article